[fpc-devel] Thoughts on being able to declare "pointer-to-type" parameters directly in method signatures?

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Mon Jun 10 10:04:51 CEST 2019

Am 10.06.2019 um 00:28 schrieb Ben Grasset:
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org <mailto:florian at freepascal.org>> wrote:
>
>     Yes, but this has *nothing* to do with the output of -vp. Nothing.
>

> My point with that was more just getting at "clearly typed pointer aliases are not actually that big of a deal
> internally for FPC", as in it doesn't really matter if it *technically* declares a new type.

A lot is not a big deal - even not supporting localized keywords - but we don't do it for good reasons.

> Again, literally nobody in this entire message chain has stated any actual reason why exactly they think it would be
> specifically *bad* to have `^Type` in method parameters.

I am pretty sure (I do not read completely anymore those lengthy "I have a great idea how to improve productivity"
threads) somebody did explain you that this is not orthogonal as other types cannot be declared this way.