[fpc-devel] When will the next version of FPC be released?

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 22:41:01 CEST 2019

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:00 AM Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>
wrote:

> I don't think this syntax is a good idea.
>
> What with overloads ?
>
> Procedure MyProc<T>(a:T);
> Procedure MyProc(a : TObject);
>
> How do I know which one will be called ?

I think it would have to work like: if something is a TObject descendant
(meaning, any class) and both of those functions were actually in scope, it
would always pick the non-generic TObject one for them. Anything that could
not validly be cast to TObject would have the generic one picked for it.

I can't really think of a good reason that someone would have both versions
of the function side-by-side like that in reality, though.