[fpc-devel] Submitting patches using git

Ryan Joseph genericptr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 22:14:16 CEST 2019

> On Jul 20, 2019, at 4:02 PM, Martin Frb <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:
>
> "origin/master"   is the not modified trunk?

No, what I did was fork https://github.com/graemeg/freepascal and then a create new feature branches based on master. “origin” I believe refers to my forked repo on GitHub and “upstream” is the original, i.e. https://github.com/graemeg/freepascal.

So what I do when I want to keep up to date is "git pull upstream master” which updates my local “master” branch with changes from graemeg/freepascal. The problem I face now is how to get changes from master into my feature branch. Merging worked fine but then I face the problem of not being able to squash all commits before submitting patches. I’ve just learned now that rebase works BUT I need to squash commits first. Catch 22.

The real root of the problem is that I need to squash my feature branches commit history or my patches will get rejected. If that weren’t the case I would just do a merge and release the patch with full commit history.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph