[fpc-devel] Submitting patches using git

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Jul 20 22:02:02 CEST 2019

On 20/07/2019 19:57, Ryan Joseph wrote:

>> On Jul 20, 2019, at 1:04 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>> You can rebase your feature branch on latest trunk/master instead of
>> merging. I think that may even work after you have previously merged it
>> (and it should get rid of all merge commits).
> I tried doing "git rebase origin/master” on the feature branch BEFORE I merged the master but it says "Current branch gen-const-new is up to date.”. What is rebase doing that it thinks the feature branch is up to date?

"origin/master"   is the not modified trunk?

Checkout to your branch, and try
   git rebase  -i origin/master

This should open an editor with all the git commits since you forked
your branch.
Remove all the revisions that belong to trunk, only keep the ones you
changed. That will move all your commits to the top.

IF this does not show all of your commits (because the branches where
merged), find the revision ONE BEFORE your first commit. (say it is 0abcde):
   git rebase  -i  0abcde origin/master