[fpc-devel] x86_64 Optimizer Overhaul

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Thu Jul 11 07:31:23 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

I just recently updated the patches for my x86_64 Optimizer Overhaul
<https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34628> (which also improves
i386).  One thing I'm not so sure of is if I've accidentally overwritten
some more recent changes to the peephole optimizer or not, which I hope
I haven't!

Hopefully performance gains are still significant.  Some parts of the
overhauled optimiser (which does not affect other platforms) are a
little more complicated than they need to be, but this is so -O1 doesn't
perform worse than before.

The bug issue linked above contains a PDF-formatted design specification
that explains my motivations and choices.

Gareth aka. Kit

---