[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 16:19:48 CEST 2019

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 10:15 AM Ryan Joseph <genericptr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 6, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Ben Grasset <operator97 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You cannot under any circumstances initialize a variable with a "typed"
> constant, because typed constants are themselves mutable by default.
> >

> Ok so typed constants are not really constants. Makes sense. :)

Well, it's Borland who is to blame for this, specifically.

FPC has the behaviour because it needs to for the sake of compatibility.
Certainly though, I've always wished that only initialized *variables*,
using "var Something: Type = " as opposed to "const Something: Type = "
existed, and that all consts were specifically untyped like "const
Something = ".

Sadly that is not and will never be the case, unfortunately.