[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 02:09:19 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 7:54 PM Ryan Joseph <genericptr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m confused now. The error is coming from the middle of the string after
> it exceeds the character limit. Can we fix this? If it’s possible to turn
> on longer than 255 char multiline strings locally that’s going to be a
> problem for existing code because H+ is global for the unit it appears.

To be clear: multiline strings are *just* strings in every way. I have not
introduced *anything* remotely resembling a new type. It is literally just
a matter of the compiler not stopping at newline characters, and instead
continuing to read until it hits a backtick. Pure, incredibly simplistic
scanner functionality.

Pushing and popping {$H+} *does* also work in general, but indeed seems to
be affected in some way by {$mode}. This should probably be fixed, but it's
unrelated to the patch we're discussing here, and not something I'm
particularly concerned about at the moment.