[fpc-devel] [Suggestion] Enumeration range-check intrinsic

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 5 17:51:19 CEST 2019

Le 05/07/2019 à 17:42, J. Gareth Moreton a écrit :

> On 05/07/2019 15:51, Pierre Muller wrote:
>> Just one point from current compiler implementation:
>>
>> in trunk/fpcsrc/compiler/ninl.pas (around line 3180)
>>
>>                in_pred_x,
>>                in_succ_x:
>>                  begin
>>                     set_varstate(left,vs_read,[vsf_must_be_valid]);
>>                     resultdef:=left.resultdef;
>>                     if is_ordinal(resultdef) or is_typeparam(resultdef) then
>>                       begin
>>                         if (resultdef.typ=enumdef) and
>>                            (tenumdef(resultdef).has_jumps) and
>>                            not(m_delphi in current_settings.modeswitches) and
>>                            not(nf_internal in flags) then
>>                           CGMessage(type_e_succ_and_pred_enums_with_assign_not_possible);
>>                       end
>>

>> This means that using pred() or succ() intrinsics on enumerated types with
>> holes will generate a Compile Time Error.
>>
>>    To be consistent, I would propose that we also generate
>> a Compile Time Error if 'is' or 'as' keyword is used on such a type,
>> unless there is a code that really check that the value is not in
>> one of the holes ...
>>
>> Pierre
>
> That seems fair.  The main problem is what happens if, when allowed,
> Prec or Succ are used on such a type on an element that is adjacent to
> one of these holes.  Should it skip to the first element at the other
> end of the hole or raise an exception? Granted, what happens if you use
> Prec or Succ on the first or last element respectively?
>
> I can theoretically design an algorithm to cover these gaps with Boolean
> conditions for the sake of "is", but it's a little bit complex.
>
> Sorry to bring you in on this particular point, Pierre, but if you call
> "Value is TEnum" and Value is of type TEnum but contains an invalid
> value (due to being read from an external stream, for example), should
> it return True or False?

  My answer would be:

in FPC modes, simply generate a CompileTimeError as above,

in Delphi mode, as Delphi states stat the holes are also valid values of the range,
then indeed, pred() and succ() can do the simple thing they do when there are no holes,
and 'is' or 'as' should then also do the same, i.e. only check that the value is inside
the range defined by the lowest and highest values!

  But on course this means that in Delphi mode,
even after validating with 'is' you could still have a valid enum value that has no
name, i.e. that is in one of those black holes ...

  I don't need to tell you that I do have a preference for the ordinary Free Pascal way!

Pierre