[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jul 5 08:26:18 CEST 2019

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019, Ben Grasset wrote:

> Ok, here's a link to my github fork
> <https://github.com/Akira13641/freepascal> implementing the multi-line
> string functionality.

> you'll see that each string adheres to the setting above it. Note that
> "platform" means whatever line ending your operating system uses, and "raw"
> means whatever the line endings in the source file itself are. Currently
> "raw" is the default.
>
> Once I have a set of proper tests written, I suppose I'll submit a formal
> patch to the FPC bugtracker.

Please don't forget the  {$modeswitch multilinestrings};

The switch needs to be off in at lest Delphi/TP mode by default
(as these modes must mimic Delphi/TP as closely as possible),
and the switch can be used to switch it on for those that want it.

For the rest: nice job, congratulations on a fast implementation!

Michael.