[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Thu Jul 4 19:51:20 CEST 2019

Op 2019-07-04 om 17:36 schreef Michael Van Canneyt:

>> Your argument works if you start with a string that's started with a
>> backtick, but not correctly terminated.
>
> To be correct, I think the argument about unterminated line endings
> needs to be seen for what it is: a nuisance, but not more a nuisance
> than a mismatched {$IFDEF}.

If $ifdef was a single char token, maybe. And for a trivial feature, not
a core one, like conditional compiling.

> So the compiler will correctly give an error.

... but not at or near the place where the mistake is made.

Anyway. I prefer not to have this at all, and would direct this to IDE
support. That would also solve the lineending problem, since the ide
extension can take care of it.

But whatever decision is made, it should be an modeswitch with off by
default.