[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Jul 4 16:05:52 CEST 2019

On 7/4/19 9:54 AM, Ben Grasset wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 9:28 AM <wkitty42 at windstream.net> wrote:
>
>     personally speaking, i liked the initial idea but i can now easily see why
>     it is only allowed in source code comments... there's a world of difference
>     between them... in one case, the formatting stays put and doesn't affect
>     anything else... in the other, the formatting and whitespace are important
>     and affect a lot of things...
>
>     so yeah, i'm out, too... just too much to farkle around with to make it a
>     viable feature without causing problems of one sort or another...
>
> This is like saying "somebody might format a text file in a way that they didn't
> actually want, and thus, TStringList.LoadFromFile is a bad feature."

not really... LoadFromFile already exists and has been fleshed out whereas
multiline strings don't...

don't get me wrong... i'm not against it if someone wants to develop it but i am
stepping back like those VC guys on Shark Tank that invest or not in presented
projects hoping to get capital and produce their product or service...