[fpc-devel] Some thoughts on multi-line string support, and a possible syntax that I think is perfectly clean and Pascal-ish.

Ben Grasset operator97 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 15:12:20 CEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 6:01 AM Marco van de Voort <fpc at pascalprogramming.org>
wrote:

> - Basically a shorthand, the solution with + works fine. There also
> could be $includefileasstring or something, one of the few extensions in
> recent years that I have been in favor of.
>
> In conclusion:  it is a solution in search of a problem, with bad
> behaviour in errorhandling (when unbalanced the compiler errors on
> perfectly fine code in the wrong place after whatever ' closes the
> unbalanced ) on top of it.

The solution with + does NOT work fine for non-trivial things and becomes
extremely unwieldy, as many people have clearly expressed, nor is the
feature "a solution in search of a problem."

Do you think I would have made this post, and then *literally implemented a
basic working version of it myself* if I did not want to specifically use
it?

No, of course not. This condescending "I know better than you what your use
cases are" attitude people keep expressing in this email chain is rather
distasteful, IMO.