[fpc-devel] fpc calls crosscompiler from older version

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Fri Jan 4 00:08:15 CET 2019

On Thu, January 3, 2019 23:01, Bart wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:06 PM Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
 .
 .
>> Obviously, it might be changed if needed. The question is if people
>> really want such a warning.
>
> Probably not, since I'm the first one to raise this ;-)

That was indeed my thought as well. ;-)

In any case, _if_ doing it, I would do it by adding -Fu and -Fi pointing
to the upper (i.e. compiler) directory to the Makefile rule for building
the fpc executable, adding a possibility to pass the version information
from fpc to the respective compiler by adding something like '-V?' +
full_version_string to PPCCommandLine _if_ -V parameter has not been
passed to the fpc executable already (it wouldn't make much sense
otherwise), adding a new warning message to msg/errore.msg and adding
handling of the new parameter to options.pas in the compiler directory.
Obviously, it would only work for compiler versions having this
functionality included, i.e. you couldn't safeguard against having really
old versions invoked that way.

>> Note that it would work only if you rebuild the fpc
>> executable as well, so I'm not sure if it would make any difference in
>> your scenario.
>
> Well, I would think that make all, followed by make install would
> generate a new fpc.exe as well.

Yes, that should do that.

Tomas