[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Sun Feb 24 16:06:44 CET 2019

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 9:22 AM, Marco van de Voort <fpc at pascalprogramming.org> wrote:
>
> Not that I know. Maybe $implicitexceptions  off where the class is declared, but I doubt it.
>
>>  I don’t use FPC with exceptions and I don’t even use the RTL usually so I don’t need these. Honestly this should have a mode switch if it’s impacting all code regardless of whether a program actually uses exceptions or not.
>
> Even then it would not work for already compiled units (including the system ones like TObject.Create)
>
> It is part of the language, people have lived with it over 20 years. If it bothers you, help making exceptions cheaper (table based exceptions/seh)

I must say that’s disappointing because FPC is usually so good about allowing you to opt into extra features via $modeswitch (one of the reasons I don’t stress about feature bloat like in other languages). I would suggest we make this a compilers switch that is on by default but can be disabled.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph