[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 20 19:11:27 CET 2019

Hi Sven,

20.02.2019 16:51, Sven Barth via fpc-devel:
[...]
> Pascal is a language where declaration and use of variables is
> separated.

I can understand that a language can (and should) try to follow some
aesthetic tradition (which, btw, has already been horribly broken many
times, imho, although it is not an excuse for further damage).
I can also understand that some immature syntactic sugar might introduce
e.g. some ambiguities in parsing valid pascal code or some other
specific unwanted problems, and if so, it can probably be demonstrated
(to some extent at least, by an example or anyhow), and in such case
indeed such new syntax should better be avoided.

However, the above statement about "Pascal as a language..." feels
somehow strange. I'd say instead, that "Pascal as a language" was
designed to be a tool to get job done efficiently, quickly, with
confort, elegance, and superiority.

>     It makes it easy to see what variables are declared and what
> type they are. Inline variables mess this up as a variable can be
> declared somewhere inside the code.

Thats exactly what inline declaration does (when used reasonably): it
makes it easy to see what variables are declared and what type they are.
Well, at least, I see it as the intended purpose.

> I use C++ to earn my living. I know why I'm not a fan of inline
> variables as I've been biten by them often enough already.

Now it is getting even more curious. Admittedly I don't use C too much
(and C++ even less so, approximately never), maybe that is why I do not
understand your reasoning. Could you maybe give an example of such
problematic inline declaration and its negative effect, in C++ at least?
Honestly I can't imagine any.

Thank you,

Regards,
Nikolai