[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Benito van der Zander benito at benibela.de
Sat Feb 16 23:37:24 CET 2019

Hi,

there is NewPascal with improved memory safety/smart pointers:
http://newpascal.org/

> but we try as much as possible to break old code.

I have noticed that. All my code has been broken by the codepage aware
strings and TEncoding

> and FPC's goal to remain Delphi-compatible.

So are inline variables coming soon?
http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2018-october-inline-variables-delphi.html

> Works fine, and I don't think my productivity is in any way enhanced
> by all the new features.
> Maybe enumerators save some typing.

The new features also generate too often weird assembly, and then you
have to benchmark is the old code faster or the new one, and then it can
turn out the enumerators are slower than an old school loop , or the
case of strings is slower than a hashmap, and then the new features need
to be avoided.

Best,
Benito