[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

james.mcjohnson at protonmail.com james.mcjohnson at protonmail.com
Fri Feb 15 06:28:16 CET 2019

I'm interested in starting (or joining) a discussion on the next (*non* backwards compatible) version of FPC. Instead of being classically object oriented, there is merit in examining a model with ad-hoc polymorphism like Rust.

Strongest features of Pascal (in my opinion):
  1. Code readability
  2. Strong typing
  3. Quick compilation.
  4. ???

Strongest features of Rust (from wikipedia):
  1. Memory safety (no null pointers, no dangling pointers, no data races in safe code)
  2. Memory management with "resource acquisition is initialization"
  3. Ownership rules favorable for safety
  4. Ad-hoc polymorphism (traits) [instead of traditional OOP class inheritance]
  5. ???

Other features worth investigation:
  1. Syntax for parallel math (SIMD)
  2. Syntax and methodology for parallel algorithms dispatch (GPU via Vulkan, RISC-V coprocessors, etc.)
  3. ???

So, what features are desirable for a 21st century programming language in this world of multiple cores? I think a clean slate new language "done the Pascal way" would be beneficial.

Could someone with knowledge of both Pascal and Rust elucidate the advantages of both languages?

Is there interest in combining the syntax of Pascal with the features of Rust et al. to create the next version of FPC?

Thanks!