[fpc-devel] C-block reference syntax (blocker for 3.2)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 13 07:40:28 CET 2019

Am 12.12.2019 um 23:24 schrieb Ryan Joseph via fpc-devel:

>> On Dec 12, 2019, at 11:13 AM, Martin Frb <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:
>>
>> I brought an example, where actually the "drop [] for last param" would break code.
>> Therefore it no longer matters if it is or is not against good design. Dropping the [], (in the new case, for last param) will break code that otherwise would be fine.
> How do C codebases deal with this regarding varargs? I've never done anything large scale or long term in C so I'm not sure what  those programmers think of varargs. Maybe they know something I don't.
They simply don't change such functions? Or grep through the sources and
adjust all call sites? The thing is they *know* that adding an
additional parameter in front of the variadic arguments is a bad(TM)
idea. For Pascal developers they know that one *can* add parameters,
because there are the [] after all. It's a different mindset.

Regards,
Sven