[fpc-devel] The 15k bounty: Optimizing executable speed for Linux x86 / LLVM

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:06:14 CEST 2018

Simon Kissel <simon.kissel at nerdherrschaft.com> schrieb am Do., 25. Okt.
2018, 08:54:

> - Complete the LLVM branch of FPC. It looks like Jonas has stopped
>   working on it two years ago, which is a pity.

I personally don't think that LLVM is the way to go. It's essentially a
moving target and adds an unnecessary dependency to the compiler.

- Rewrite the code generator, for example in a SSA-IR way

Didn't Florian work on that already? I wonder how far he is by now 🤔

- Make Exception handling, TLS etc use the infrastructure that
>   libpthread is providing

I'm against having such a basic functionality depend on an external library
as I quite enjoy that FPC can be used without any dependencies on Linux.
However I am in favor of introducing DWARF exception handling that should
have similar benefits as SEH on Win64 if I remember correctly.
And for threadvars we could try to implement a different mechanism as well.
I think there was some experiment for that some time ago 🤔

A further problem is that not all of us have access to Kylix so that not
everyone can compare the performance.

Regards,
Sven