[fpc-devel] BMI2 instructions implemented

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Mon Oct 8 23:03:50 CEST 2018

 Hi Florian,
 Sorry for not quite seeing where my mistake was or what was changed.
Admittedly the operator order does always catch me out and I'm not certain
of the ordering when there are 3 operands.  Can you enlighten me so I
don't mess up in future?
 Gareth aka. Kit
 P.S. I thought I got it right when comparing the disassembly to other
sources.

 On Sun 07/10/18 11:12 , Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org sent:
 Am 07.10.2018 um 02:08 schrieb J. Gareth Moreton:
 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > Sorry I've been away for a while - hope my infectious enthusiasm has
still been contagious!

 > Anyhow, I've finally managed to implement the BMI2 instructions for i386
and x86-64 over at
 > https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33549.  [1] I'm not certain if
everything is truly correct since my CPU doesn't
 > actually support the instructions.  I did, however, compare the
disassembly of a program written in Visual C++ with that
 > of Free Pascal with the new instructions, and confirmed that they
produced the same machine code.  The disassembler in
 > Lazarus also now supports these instructions, so that acts as a second
source of comparison too.

 Thanks, applied (with some fixes though, operand order in x86ins.dat is
Intel assembler style, except for the operands
 in the change information though).

Links:
------
[1] https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33549.