[fpc-devel] The 15k bounty: Optimizing executable speed for Linux x86 / LLVM

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 25 21:28:24 CET 2018

On 27/10/18 18:21, Ben Grasset wrote:
> LLC (at least now) statically links the necessary parts of LLVM and
> works independently of Opt, with a simpler set of command line options
> (it just has overall O1, O2, and O3 flags.)

Are you certain llc now incorporates the functionality of opt? From what
I can tell, llc still only performs codegen optimisations and no complex
IR transformations. It has always had the -O1/-O2/-O3 flags, but those
always have only affected the codegen.

All information I can find via google also suggest you need to use
either clang or both opt and llc to get everything (e.g.
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-January/120226.html ).

Jonas