[fpc-devel] How do I go about volunteering as a "release builder", so that we can get rid of the objectively untrue, misleadingly worded "There is no native compiler available for x86_64 Win64. You have to use a cross-compiler" notice on the FPC website?

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Nov 5 17:54:05 CET 2018

On 11/4/18 10:26 PM, Ben Grasset wrote:
> I'm not young. You're making all kinds of assumptions here. TP7 /is /generally
> speaking, irrelevant in the fast majority of cases nowadays. FPC is 1000x more
> advanced in every conceivable way than any version of Turbo Pascal ever was.
> There is nothing "interesting" about TP from a current perspective. At this
> point it's simply just a notably worse Pascal compiler than FPC, and nothing more.
>
> I find it extremely difficult to believe that you're actually claiming there is
> a non-trivial number of people out there who have /literally/ been actively
> developing in nothing but Turbo Pascal right up until now, and finally have
> decided to "modernize", and who will as such actually find that article useful.

wow... you talk about "making assumptions" and then you that someone claimed
something that no one wrote... no one said anything about any non-trivial number
of people using TP...

personally speaking, depending on the job, yes, i break out my TP6 (!) for many
things... if i need 32/64 bit, then i use FPC/Lazarus...

i can also honestly point to several projects that are in the process of being
ported from TP to FPC... one is/was an extremely popular FTN mailer used in
Fidonet and other Fidonet Technology Networks... and yes, Fidonet does still
exist today along with another ~50+ other FTNs ;)