[fpc-devel] Optimization theory

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Mon Jun 25 16:18:18 CEST 2018

 One other problem with this method, and I think it has caused problems
before - https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32079 - is what happens if
an invalid value is passed in for the opcode.  Granted, a sanity check can
be employed.
 One would need to develop some tight timing tests to determine the fastest
method for a given number of cases.  As Florian once stated... it takes a
large number of jumps before the standard linear subtraction search (where
the ordinal difference is subtracted from each case branch in turn) becomes
prohibitive.  On modern processors it can be as high as 64.

 Gareth aka. Kit

 On Mon 25/06/18 11:18 , Martin fpc at mfriebe.de sent: