[fpc-devel] Maximum symbol length -- answer needed

Blaise at blaise.ru Blaise at blaise.ru
Fri Jun 22 22:49:10 CEST 2018

On 22.06.2018 21:42, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> The rationale for the above is that they need symbols that are longer than 255 characters.

And such symbols could not be shortened by hashing heads or tails?

> The reason the rest uses shortstrings is this is assumed to be faster.

I see that overloaded methods taking ShortString are not always provided (supposedly, for the new stuff implemented only in ansistrings). Hello, hidden conversions; bye-bye to performance :)

> I would propose to switch all targets to use use ansistrings for symbol names.

Is this the consensus?

Personally, if I had any stake in this, I would be against it. I mean, FPC is already slower than DCC.

In my book, proper ShortString plumbing is not that hard, and I am willing to fix the code I stumble upon. And properly trim and hash symbols exceeding the limit.

--
βþ