[fpc-devel] Kit's ambitions!

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Thu Jun 14 23:49:53 CEST 2018

 Hi Florian,
 I don't know if you have any answers, but I'm unable to apply any patches
I receive. I can view them and see the changes, and manually apply them via
copy+paste if I have to, but using the "Apply Patch" option ends up not
doing anything.  Is there a fix to this, or does it error out because I
only have read access to SVN (even though the patch should only modify my
local files)?

 Looking at the design though, I can definitely experiment to see how the
deep optimiser performs in the preallocation block.  It will certainly
have the advantage of being able to handle registers that may end up being
stored on the stack due to the lack of free actual registers.  If needs
be, I'll submit the current deep optimiser that does all of its work after
the peephole optimisation, and can change it to pre register allocation
later on.  I will need to see if it performs better or worse the earlier
stage and also potentially cause other optimisations to get missed because
of MOVs being changed or removed.

 Fun times ahead!  Thanks for the patch.
 Gareth

 On Thu 14/06/18 21:58 , Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org sent:
 Am 13.06.2018 um 20:50 schrieb J. Gareth Moreton:
 > I haven't fully uncovered the secrets of
 > the compiler yet, but I did notice "pre-
 > peephole pass" under x86, but I think the
 > only functions it touched was one of the
 > bit shifts. Does this occur before
 > register allocation or was it just
 > something that had to be done before Pass
 > 1?

 It is only before pass 1.

 I attached a patch I once started which shows the idea.

Links:
------
[1] mailto:fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org