[fpc-devel] Why/how does the compiler have a non-trivial number ofmemory leaks after over two decades of development?

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 20:31:45 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Marcos Douglas B. Santos
<md at delfire.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In this project, the answer is always taken to be yes.
>>>

>> To hopefully offer some explanation for Mr. Santos - if I can compile
>> and run the program 5 times over the course of 20 minutes, that is
>> certainly better than running it and testing it once over the same
>> amount of time, no?
>>
>> It might be hard to imagine FPC taking that much longer than it does
>> currently but ~30min for a large program is the standard with other
>> compilers. I very much enjoy the speed of FPC.
>
> All us like fast compiling...
> However, IMHO, a compiler should use the same good practices that
> others programs must use.
> If it cannot use them because it's very slow, what is the matter about
> good practices?
>
> "Do what I'm telling you to do, but don't do what I do" ? :)

If a program isn't long running I see programmers tend to not care
about memory management, nor do I make a habit of caring about it
myself. I find it hard to see anything wrong with this.

As someone has mentioned this can fail on smaller computers, but how
much RAM is too little? SBCs now typically come with 1-4GB of memory.

Cheers,
    R0b0t1