[fpc-devel] Adapting MakeFile to make subfolders for targets with sub architectures

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:42:58 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 12:55 PM, Sven Barth via fpc-devel <
fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Am 22.07.2018 um 10:31 schrieb Christo:
>
>> I'm trying to change the build process for target AVR so that different
>> sub architectures end up
>> in different subfolders.  At the moment the default behaviour is that
>> e.g. the RTL object files
>> are saved to ./rtl/units/avr-embedded, regardless of the subarch
>> specified.  This means that if
>> one rebuild the RTL for AVR with a different subarch, the previous
>> subarch unit files (system,
>> strings charset etc.) are overwritten.
>>
> Florian has work-in-progress patches for this problem (originally intended
> for ARM though it should probably work for AVR as well). I think he had
> published them some time ago on the mailing lists, but if not ask him
> directly.

Florian made some comments about a patch in progress in a different thread.
I've seen a branch in svn that is over 3 years old with changes that seem
to do mostly what I want.  I'm not familiar with the makefile build
process, hence my question.  At the moment the modifications I made (to
Florian's code) seems to work for my use case (AVR, build from source, no
install), but I want to test all use cases including zipinstall and
install, but I am not sure what the expected output should be.  Also there
is some complication with fpmake overriding some makefile settings in
rtl-extra, this was not covered by Florians modifications.