[fpc-devel] Data alignment feature

Adriaan van Os fpc at microbizz.nl
Fri Jan 26 16:41:02 CET 2018

J. Gareth Moreton wrote:
> Oh right.  I see that you've opted to stick with the $codealign compiler directive.  True, no new feature
> should be required, and TM128 shouldn't need to be redeclared by a third-party programmer.
>
> In this case, I think this bug/feature report can be closed now: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?
> id=32780 - unless you want the 'align' suffix.

I think two questions need to be answered, as there is more than just global variables

1. What is the status of alignment of the stack ?
2. I do think we need an alignment option in the FPC memory manager. Or at least a runtime-function
that gets aligned memory, like
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/posix_memalign.html>

Regards,

Adriaan van Os