[fpc-devel] End of support for Win XP?

Denis Kozlov dezlov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:14:19 CET 2018

> I would have preferred that you always use the new function when
> available, but
> since you'd then be doing what Microsoft is already doing, so I won't
> make
> a point out of it. I will apply and test the patch, thank you.

That was my original plan, to use the new API by default.

But then I decided to stay on the safe side, for compatibility reasons,
continue using old API when you make the call using old API constants
(CSIDL_*). For example, old API adds trailing path delimiter while the
new API does not. Of course, users should ensure their trailing path
delimiter themselves, but there could be other peculiarities which might
affect the end users.

So for now, users of GetWindowsSpecialDir can make a conscious decision
to upgrade to the default use of new API by using FOLDERID_* constants
instead of CSIDL_* constants.

Denis