[fpc-devel] x86_64 Optimizer Overhaul

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Sun Dec 9 03:45:11 CET 2018

 Hmmm, it might imply that the overhaul isn't worth it except for the
largest projects.  I guess we'll have to let Florian make that call.

 I'm not sure how to time the optimisation stage separately, unless you're
able to pass in the PPU files directly.  Other factors like reading from
the disk can take up proportinally more time as well.  Thanks for your
help though - at least it's not considerably worse!

 i'm just hoping my changes are successful so I can port it to i386 and
then implement some new peephole optimisations that I've found (the changes
clash slightly with the overhaul).

 Gareth aka. Kit.

 On Sun 09/12/18 03:32 , "Ryan Joseph" ryan at thealchemistguild.com sent:

 > On Dec 9, 2018, at 9:15 AM, J. Gareth Moreton  wrote:
 >
 > Hmmm, that's a shame if the time difference is so small. Up to you if
it's worth it or not. I hoped it would be slightly better than that,
although if it's consistently faster, especially with large projects, then
it's a winner in my eyes. Fingers crossed!

 My biggest project is only ~20 seconds so it’s just not a big enough
code base I think.

 How do we even know how much of the time was spent on code generation vs
parsing? All I looked at was the final time using -vs when it got to the
linking phase.

 Regards,
 Ryan Joseph