[fpc-devel] The 15k bounty: Optimizing executable speedforLinux x86 / LLVM

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Thu Dec 6 23:16:03 CET 2018

 Hi Simon,

 Where are your test projects located again? I figure they might make for
good timing metrics even if my overhaul is only for x86_64 currently.  If
it's successful and the other developers approve, then I can port it to
i386 where it counts.

 Alternatively, if you want to test out the changes yourself, everything
you need is over at this ticket:

 Thanks for your motivation with the bounty (even though I just want to
improve the language I love!)

 Gareth aka. Kit

 On Tue 04/12/18 19:29 , Simon Kissel simon.kissel at nerdherrschaft.com sent:
 Hi Gareth,

 > A regression like this is quite serious. I'd recommend opening a
 > bug report with a reproducible case so we can investigate and hopefully
fix it within the day.

 created a test project, and opened two tickets:

 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34646 [1]
 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=34647 [2]

 > At the moment I'm experimenting with increasing the speed of the
 > optimizer for x86_64, and then porting to i386 when it's proven
 > successful. Having teething problems though!

 Sounds great. I wish more of our products had 64bit CPUs...

 What's the speed-up you are seeing on my test project so far?

 Best regards,

 Simon

Links:
------