[fpc-devel] LLVM code generator

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Mon Dec 3 18:22:34 CET 2018

On 2018-12-03 07:57, Ryan Joseph wrote:
>> On Dec 2, 2018, at 5:26 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>

>> The LLVM code generator is more or less ready, including
>> Dwarf-EH-based exception handling support. It's currently only
>> supported on Darwin/x86-64 and Linux/x86-64, but it can do a "make
>> all" and the testsuite can be finished as well. There are still some
>> extra failures that do not happen with the built-in code generator,
>> but most tests work fine.
>
> What does this mean for end users?

An option to exchange (a lot of) compilation speed for faster code.

> Do we get better debugging support in LLDB?

Unlikely. That would at best be a trade-off (possibly better support as
long as you consider the source as C++ instead of Pascal), and something
for which you don't need an LLVM-based code generator. That mainly
requires patches to LLDB to add support for Pascal-specific types and
features.

Jonas