[fpc-devel] Wrong docs: not initialized global variables

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:47:27 CEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> You explained exactly why I think the delphi docs are wrong.
>
> If delphi wanted to do things correctly and consistently they would simply
> say 'everything is initialized to 0'. Period.
>
> Simple, consistent, easy.
>
> The above is a kludge.
>
> The point of view of 'Pascal' is that you should consider every variable
> uninitialized.
>
> Simple, straightforward.

Allow me to yet again to single out this philosophy of
strongly preferring abstract purity to concrete user experience.
This is IMHO a significant contributing factor of Pascal decline.
I would not argue this specific point (although I quite agree with Ondrej),
I just want to remind that the cost in terms of diminishing userbase
is real, and that makes me sad.

--
Alexander S. Klenin