[fpc-devel] Porting fpc to linux-sparc64

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Mon May 29 17:55:46 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Mon, 29 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > However, it should probably not be merged to fixes, because it may be a
> > breaking change for older Sparc/Linux versions (see my previous e-mail;
> > note that the situation with MIPS was probably different, because the
> > support of that CPU is much newer).
>
> I am pretty sure that the "-32" option hasn't changed for aeons, so
> there is nothing to break here. And, as I mentioned before, you are
> already passing "-b elf32-sparc -m elf32_sparc" to ld, so adding "-32"
> to the assembler would not hurt at all.

>From what I can see, binutils 2.9.1, released 1/5/1998 (19+ years ago)
already has it for SPARC (according to the man page). :) But binutils
2.8.1 from 20 years ago, still didn't. So it was added between those
versions. :)

I cannot confirm this now, but I'm willing to make a bet that our
generated assembly syntax already depends on newer binutils, for things
like named sections. Although I'm not sure these are enabled for SPARC in
their full glory.

Charlie