[fpc-devel] Porting fpc to linux-sparc64

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Mon May 29 10:03:57 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Sun, 28 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> When trying to cross-build fpc for sparc64, I ran into linker issues. I was
> able to resolve these when changing the ELF format from 32 to 64 bits in
> compiler/system/t_linux.pas and changing the dynamic loader path from
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 to /lib64/ld-linux.so.2. However, trying to run these
> binaries on an actual sparc64 box running Debian unstable results in bus errors.

Hmm, we had the last testsuite run for SPARC Linux back in 2013. I was
under the impression it's still being tested... The Solaris version's last
testresult is from 2012...

https://www.freepascal.org/testsuite/cgi-bin/testsuite.cgi?action=1&run1id=150744
https://www.freepascal.org/testsuite/cgi-bin/testsuite.cgi?action=1&run1id=120817

Which might suggest that the trunk could be broken at this point. :(
And/or completely unprepared for 64bit in any way. Although we still seem
to have a stable 3.0.2 release. Can you try if the stable release built by
us works on your system? Any binary from this.

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/3.0.2/sparc-linux/

> Thus, I was wondering whether there are still people around who care for the
> SPARC port of fpc and who could help me. We have very fast sparc64 porterboxes
> available running Debian unstable and I'd be happy to create accounts on these
> machines for anyone who wants to help.

I don't know anything about SPARC, but if no one else volunteers, I can
take a look. In fact, maybe even a full 64bit SPARC port shouldn't be that
hard (famous last words...), but at least a few weeks of work for sure for
someone who knows the compiler internals.

Charlie