[fpc-devel] UTF-8 string literals

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri May 5 16:16:18 CEST 2017

Am 05.05.2017 15:55 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:

> On Fri, 5 May 2017, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 May 2017 14:30:32 +0200 (CEST)
>> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>

> To make sure I was presenting correct facts, I did some tests.
>
> As a result of the tests, I think the above statement is wrong.

In all three cases you are either explicitly or implicitly forcing the
compiler to convert it to Ansi/UTF-8 and since it's a constant it takes a
compiletime shortcut.
If you'd do a Writeln without the typecast then it will be a UTF-16
constant that is stored in the binary *if* the string contains a character
> $7F.

Regards,
Sven