[fpc-devel] Staticaly link C/C++ library (.lib) into FreePascal on Windows

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 20:28:11 CET 2017

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:43 AM, Sven Barth via fpc-devel <
fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Am 19.03.2017 04:53 schrieb "silvioprog" <silvioprog at gmail.com>:
>
> Unfortunately you can't use the static libraries (.a) of Intel because
> they are generated for Linux, in spite of static libraries be
> cross-platform.
>
> Non-sense. Static libraries are as platform specific as any other binary
> code, after all it needs to call OS functions.

Well, I understand by cross-platform anything that is implemented on
multiple platforms, so once ar archives can be generated for multiple ones,
it makes sense for me. :-)

> I'm not sure about the .lib files. MS's COFF files adopt the .lib
> extension, but it is a little bit strange these sizes below:
> >
> > `libippi.a`:
> > . original - 251 MB;
> > . striped - 192 MB.
> >
> > `libippi.lib`:
> > . original - 853 KB;
> > . striped - no strip needed, it is already small.
>
> Seems like the second one is merely an import library for the DLL instead
> of a real static library.

Indeed.

And of course that is COFF as well. MSVC only supports COFF.

There isn't only one kind of COFF, AFAIK MS has an own COFF style and MSVC
supports only that. Sure, Intel must have used MSVC ones. However, my
*suggestion* about LacaK confirming that was just because he can generate
an object or a shared library from a MS COFF file, solving his problem!

--
Silvio Clécio