[fpc-devel] Dangerous optimization in CASE..OF

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 16 16:49:44 CEST 2017

On 16/07/17 16:34, DaWorm wrote:
> If the programmer builds a case statement on an enum, that includes all
> of the possible enum values, and also includes an else clause, to me it
> seems the programmer is implicitly telling the compiler that there is
> the possibility of illegal values stored in the enum.

Writing unreachable code never has constituted implicitly telling a
compiler anything in any programming language. At best, you will get a
warning from the compiler that the code is unreachable.

You don't want a compiler to start second-guessing what you might have
meant when you wrote something. Everything must be 100% unambiguous.

Jonas