[fpc-devel] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** An extension of fpc language: the BASED construct

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Tue Dec 26 18:43:24 CET 2017

HI,

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017, Thorsten Engler wrote:

> >  Item: BYTE BASED ItemPtr;
>
> Ignoring any other considerations for now, I would have at least used a
> logical extension derived from already supported syntax:
>
> Item: Byte absolute ItemPtr^;

As far as I understand (I did not try) this was once supported, but
explicitly removed by FPC 2.4.0 from Absolute keyword dereferencing is no
longer allowed:

http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_2.4.0#Absolute_variable_declarations

As the reasoning there shows, it's a very slippery slope this, which could
open a can of worms, so careful people. :)

Charlie