[fpc-devel] Discussion about "Dynamic packages"

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Apr 13 22:50:35 CEST 2017

In our previous episode, Sven Barth via fpc-devel said:

> And it's not about saving RAM or disk memory! It's about *binary code
> reuse*, the ability to fix a bug in multiple executables by merely
> fixing the one bug in a package.

And for extensions too. If a program has a package N that governs plugins,
all plugins can also link to that N and work with it as if it was part of
the main program (with some minor limitations), sharing all library state
and compiler generated tables.

Being able to deliver parts only to some customers, or parts developed after
the main application has been delivered is a major feature.