[fpc-devel] Dotted namespace

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jan 27 17:54:45 CET 2016

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> > See:
> http://docs.embarcadero.com/products/rad_studio/delphiAndcpp2009/HelpUpdate2/EN/html/devcommon/usingnamespaces_xml.html
> >
> > For example: section "Multi-unit Namespaces"
> > unit MyCompany.ProjectX.ProgramY.Unit1
> > unit MyCompany.ProjectX.ProgramY.Unit2
> >
> > "In this example, the namespace MyCompany.ProjectX.ProgramY logically
> contains all of the interface symbols from unit1.pas and unit2.pas.
> >
> > Symbol names in a namespace must be unique, across all units in the
> namespace. In the example above, it is an error for Unit1 and Unit2 to both
> define a global interface symbol named mySymbol. "
>
> We're talking about one and the same feature. FPC's dotted unit names are
> implemented based on Delphi's namespace feature, but since they aren't
> namespaces in the strict sense we prefer to use the more accurate name of
> "dotted unit names".

What do you make about the piece of code that Dimitry quoted ( "in this..) ?

I tried to read the link above, but it doesn't explicitly say that you can
import "mycompany.projectx.projecty" (and that the system then must figure
out what units belong to that).

I wonder if this text is a Delphi.NET leftover.