[fpc-devel] Generics.Collections as package for Lazarus or package for FPC RTL

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jan 27 14:37:53 CET 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, silvioprog wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:22 AM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org
>> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Assume we introduce namespaces, do things 'Properly' and introduce
>> Core.FileUtils
>> Core.StringUtils
>> (the names are just examples, to make a point)
>>
>> Now let's take example existing routines such as
>> ExtractFilePath
>> ExtractFileName
>> Where do we put them ?
>>
>> Both units are a candidate. The former because it is about filenames.
>> The latter because they are purely string operations.
>> Your namespace doesn't solve this problem.
>>

> ExtractFilePath/ExtractFileName sounds more related to file operations, so:

Please guys....

You are completely missing the point. It is AN EXAMPLE.

The point was that namespaces do not solve the problem of where to put a
routine and how to easily find it. I could probably find many other
routines.

And the example replies I got make namespaces even less attractive to
solve that particular problem !

Michael.