[fpc-devel] Generics.Collections as package for Lazarus or package for FPC RTL

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 27 08:06:50 CET 2016

Am 27.01.2016 07:38 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Maciej Izak wrote:

>>> The Generics.Collections should be added to RTL or as a FPC package.
>>>
>>> Is there some problem in your implementation that Laz team decided to
add
>>> it as Lazarus package? If so, is it fixable? :-/

>> Yes. The biggest problem is that the Generics.Collections is not already
in
>> RTL. ;) I need this for all my "Sparta packages".
>

> The reason your collection was not added as a package to FPC was that
there
> were some compiler bugs at the time. If these bugs are fixed, I see no
> reason why the package should not be added to FPC.
>
> Can you remind me the bug ID ? then I will look at it.

The main reason is Collections.Defaults. I'm definitely not a fan of the
manual interface building it does, because I don't want to have to maintain
that, just in case we change some implementation detail in FPC that this
unit happens to rely on, maybe even only in a subtle way. No performance
gain is worth this potential maintenance nightmare. And until I had the
time to thoroughly check the implications that this unit has I won't add
the code to the RTL (just in case: rtl-objpas or rtl-extra, not the
bootstrapping RTL).

Regards,
Sven