[fpc-devel] Generics.Collections as package for Lazarus or package for FPC RTL

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jan 27 08:07:25 CET 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Anthony Walter wrote:

> I guess this is good time to ask, how would the community feel about
> setting a new standard for Free Pascal units going forward? I am thinking
> that since FPC 3.0 is now official we don't really have a good excuse to
> start using many of the great new language features it brings, such as
> dotted name spaces, type helpers on intrinsic types, and of course the now
> good working generics.
>
> I would propose we start migrating new units to this type of standard:

While I am not opposed to this, some issues:
- Delphi compatibility?
- The compiler does not have a namespace directive, making this purely a more
   typing operation. What is the added value in that ?
- Who will document all this ?
- Core as the base word is probably a very poor choice, since everyone is
   going to pick that as the start of his collection.

That said, my own idea was to recreate the Delphi namespaces combined with
string = unicodestring. just to say I do not oppose such a shift.

Michael.