[fpc-devel] Improved RTTI compromise

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Dec 7 13:58:43 CET 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Sven Barth wrote:

>> Trying to generate the exact same information as Delphi is IMHO not the
> right path.
>>
>> What is needed is an API that gives you the info contained in the
> internal structures.
>
> That's what the RTTI unit is there for. It provides a higher level API to
> the type information than typinfo does.

I was hoping to avoid the RTTI unit, it has a horrible, Horrible, HORRIBLE
interface in my opinion. (probably again some misguided .NET clone attempt)

But no matter:
If the info is there, I can write my own interface which is more to my liking.
I don't care about Delphi compatibility in these matters. What matters is
that the concept is there, the exact API I will creatre form myself.

>>> or second option:
>>>
>>> compiler hinting directive "experimental" for TypInfo.TAttributeData.
> Good
>>> temporary deal for all (I think)...
>>>
>>> anyway any option is much better perspective than ignoring RTTI.pas for
>>> long long long time...
>>

>> No-one is ignoring RTII. I have contacted Joost on multiple occasions to
>> merge his work into trunk. I get a lot of questions about it. But I cannot
>> do the work myself. If I could, I would. I am waiting for the attributes
>> since a long time.
>>

> I've now added that to the list of my near term projects, together with
> interface RTTI.

Great. Then there is some chance it will happen in the near future.
I hope you still have a lot of vacation/workfree days left :-)

Michael.