[fpc-devel] Improved RTTI compromise

Maciej Izak hnb.code at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:45:29 CET 2016

Hi,

I was thinking about extended RTTI, and important RTTI.pas module (good
start point with attributes is waiting 3 years). Seems that the only real
reason why we don't have yet RTTI.pas in trunk is incompatibility of
generated type info (as Jonas said: TAttributeData vs TAttrData, no
TAttrEntry).

Current situation seems like big lock for many developers and development.
I see 3 solutions:

1. TAttributeData with additional compiler hinting directive "experimental"
2. Moving TAttributeData into implementation section (and related functions
accessible through alias&special *.inc for RTTI.pas). Only usage of
attributes through RTTI.pas would be allowed.
3. Not merged.

Point 1&2 is fair enough (especially 1). We can change RTTI layout in the
future (when Invoke will be implemented). I think that speed of development
of RTTI.pas will increase (btw. management operators are perfect for
TValue).

For point 3 I am forced to add RTTI branch into NewPascal project which is
dangerous for both projects and for me personally. Today I need to read
ridiculous messages (for example from Blaise in "Closures / anonymous
methods" topic) about "no respect" for my person ^^ because I have Open
Source supporting project (as Blaise said: I am schismatic which create
unnecessary forks, splitting the community and resources). For me NP is
start point for many patches merged back into FPC, libraries and motivation
for improvements and for discussions with core team about improvements.
*Sooner or later someone will send agent 47 to eliminate me ;) so please
rethink decision about RTTI branch*.

Maybe RTTI branch has some hidden flaw?
--
Best regards,