[fpc-devel] Initialize/Finalize management operators and Default intrinsic

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:17:39 CEST 2016

Am 12.04.2016 16:12 schrieb "Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis" <
d.ioannidis at nephelae.eu>:

> Στις 2016-04-12 16:31, Maciej Izak έγραψε:

>> <michael at freepascal.org>:
>>
>>> I really don't think you should delegate such things to attributes.
>>> You make 2 completely unrelated language constructs suddenly
>>> related. A bad design decision.
>>

>> I think you are wrong. Attributes are not only dedicated to RTTI just
>> look at other languages: Delphi, C#, Java. Instead of extending
>> language into infinity you can use simple attribute with parameter. I
>> don't see any reason why don't use attributes to describe some
>> compiler/RTL behavior? Any attribute can be easier placed in many
>> language structures without breaking language syntax. That is much
>> harder with new keywords.
>

> Just my 2 ...
>
>  AFAIU, attributes in Delphi are ignorable ( ... Attributes do not modify
the behavior of types or members by themselves. The consumer code must
specifically query for their existence and take appropriate actions when
this is required ... ).

>  IMO attributes that aren't ignorable aren't really attributes in the
narrow sense, they're just keywords in disguise.

I agree, that's why I also don't like the use of attributes for this. The
question is how Delphi compatible do we want to be? (I personally wouldn't
mind not achieving compatibility for this)

Regards,
Sven