[fpc-devel] simpleipc issues

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Sep 29 16:59:58 CEST 2015

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara wrote:

>> 2. Then it is only available in visually designed applications.
>>    Services, website servers and custom console apps are non-visual.
>>    I am specificially thinking FastCGI processes.
>>

> See above

I didn't say it could not be done with that component.
But IMHO you should have gone the extra mile and implement it in TCustomApplication.

Ondrej's class has the advantage that it introduces no extra dependencies.
It builds on classes and sysutils.

>>    All these have in common that they descend from TCustomApplication.
>>

> And console apps without TCustomApplication?

They can use advancedipc directly if they want. I rarely make those any more for production,
- Because the command-line handling of TCustomApplication is convenient.
- Most often you need a class anyway for event handling or to use as owner.
We must assume something.
The minimum shared code is in TCustomApplication, it is the most logical place.

Michael.