[fpc-devel] Fwd: While - Otherwise Statement

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Oct 14 02:08:32 CEST 2015

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 23:25:03 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

>[...]
> The argument that we can refrain from using these new features does not hold,
> because other people will be using it, and we will have to know all of it to
> be able to understand their code.

And it costs precious time of documentation and tool writers, who are
already lacking behind. And every new feature makes the compiler a bit
slower, costing time of all users.
Each new feature must present a solid case, why it is needed aka
outweighs the downside.

> None of these features will automagically make Object Pascal a popular language.
>
> However, I seem to be one of the very few thinking this given the enthousiasm with
> which people are discussing this.

Are you kidding?
Some people are already forking FPC because of such things.

> Soon I will be forced to emigrate to Javascript country.
> Despite all its drawbacks, it remains at least a simple language.
> a dozen keywords and you're done. No wonder Node.js is so popular.
> Compare that with the jungle we're making of it... :(

Well, then you should vote against this new functionality.

Mattias