[fpc-devel] Fwd: While - Otherwise Statement

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 13 10:32:56 CEST 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, wkitty42 at windstream.net wrote:

> On 10/12/2015 03:43 PM, Martin Frb wrote:
>> Actually the above does not represent what the actual feature request is
>> about
>>
>> The "else" is to be executed, after the while (even if the while looped
>> ZERO
>> times).
>> But it is to be skipped if the while exited via break (and only then).
>>
>> For that reason "else" or "otherwise" are badly chosen keywords. Because
>> they
>> imply a different function.
>
> exactly my and others' points... "and" would be better but then one might
> just as easily use a goto to jump around that part if break was used to get
> out of the loop...
>
> anyway, it seems that no matter what the discussion, it won't make it into
> the compiler... that according to another post from a compiler dev ;)

Maybe my remark was not clear.

I'm not against this *functionality*.

I merely pointed out that *the syntax using 'else'*
is not going to make it because it breaks backwards compatibility.

If another keyword is used: no problem.

I don't understand why anyone would want this marginal functionality and thus
(again) needlessly complicates the language, but hey, it's a (mostly) free world....

Alas, the monstrosity that Object Pascal syntax is becoming is less and less
appealing by the day, it's simply frightening...

Michael.